Welcome to my blog

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit my blog. Take care, stay safe and God bless!



Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Where's My Saddle?

I haven't posted in a long time (due to injuries, physical therapy, and a huge life transition)

Injury
Since July of last year, I was extremely busy at work, flying two or three times per week and putting in a lot of hours...  Last December after a flight, I slipped and fell on the ice, injuring my hip...  After recovery (early this spring), I began experiencing right foot pains (plantar fasciitis, which later turned out to be a slight plantar fascia tear).  I was in and out of physical therapy most of the year.  After many months of physical therapy and treatment (to include iontophoresis, sonophoresis, dry needling [blah], deep tissue therapy, and stretching exercises), I was finally able to get out on an exploratory run and was quite pleased with the results: 1 casual mile at 8:32 pace (not bad considering that it was my first run in over six months).  I miss running.  I failed to enter in any of my routine events this year: Austin, Dallas, Ft Worth (new), Oklahoma City, USAF Marathon, and Tulsa.  I also let myself go by gaining nearly 15 pounds, and of course, regressing out of condition (endurance, pace, etc).  It'll get better (I've been there before).

Life Transition
I was recently approved early retirement from the military.   Additionally, I was offered a once in a lifetime position with the folks at Starbucks as a Store Manager (yay!).  This is a huge transition from my current role as a flight instructor - I'm ready for the challenge!  Frequent world travels enabled me to experience and enjoy many cultures, most memorable were of food and drink, notably coffee...  MY life blood.  Flying 16-20 hours missions would have been impossible without it.  This week, I began the next chapter of my life in hopes to learn more about the coffee industry in an effort to inspire and nurture the human spirit - one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.

Running
I'm hopping back in the saddle slowly, and physical therapy revealed that my gait and form have shifted - "time to buy new running shoes!"  :-)  I am grateful for the physical therapists and technicians for bringing me back to form - thanks!  As a long term goal, I would love to enter next year's Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon (I PR'd 2013's half marathon).  I am not expecting a record, I'm just hoping to get back into shape for the half distance (again).  I would love to run the USAF Marathon too, but I am done with fall events (no more summer training).  So, I'm hoping to be back on the road in 2016 at my routine events [crossing fingers]...

Well, I'd like to thank my family and close friends for all of the support this year.  Thanks to the USAF for a wonderful 15 years...  And, thanks to Starbucks for investing in me - I have big shoes to fill...    

Happy running and God bless! "Fight the good fight, finish the race, and always keep faith" 2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment