Welcome to my blog

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit my blog. Take care, stay safe and God bless!



Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Morning After...


OK, I can barely walk up and down the stairs this morning!  My hamstring is tight and quads sore.  I felt like I’ve been pulled in a taffy machine and injected with hot sauce…  Everything burns, but it was worth it! 

Something occurred to me late last night, as I was checking out my Nike+ page…  I finished a mileage challenge that I had created in February of 2010…  I was surprised to have realized finishing it so soon, but please see below for my reasoning behind creating this particular challenge.

On February 14th, 2010, I created a private challenge on my Nike+ page in honor of those men and women of OU Children's Hospital, The Jimmy Everest Center and the 960th AACS.  We'll never forget what you did for our family while stationed in Oklahoma, especially Brandon, and to all of the cancer families that we met and befriended along the way.  We are eternally grateful for your sacrifices, because we know what you do isn't easy.  Given all of the heartache and challenges you face at home and at work, you are truly saviors and heroes!

This challenge was initially one that I thought would take me several years to complete (especially after having my second knee surgery in October of 2009).  I set the challenge to end in the year 2019, lol, because I thought that it would take me that long to finish!  According to Google Maps, the total mileage from our house (near Dayton, OH) to downtown Oklahoma City, OK was about 857 miles.  So, I set that mileage goal, gave myself about nine years to finish it, and just ran!  I think about your contributions to our family each and every run!

To my surprise (believe me it was a surprise), I completed the challenge after finishing the 2011 USAF Marathon (just about 19 months after I created it). Some of my runs were awesome while others were horrible; yet I chugged along, thinking about Brandon and the many cancer warriors along the way!  I also spent a lot of time thinking about all of the medical staff and folks who supported us on this journey...  Thanks and God bless you all!

This year has been very favorable to our family and we are very thankful for our many blessings!  Austin and Blake bring another level of joy that only those with twins can understand...  Tyler entered into 1st grade and is the best big brother in the whole world!  He is also the "man of the house" when daddy isn't around...   He takes care of his little brothers and helps mommy with the babies!  Brandon is in Pre-K and is experiencing the joys of childhood (that he missed out on the past two-three years).  He also takes care of the babies and is gaining strength each and every day!

Again, we'll never forget what you have done for us all.

Team Lansberry

Dayton to OKC mileage challenge
 (Click image for fullsize)

Happy running and God bless!
"Fight the good fight, finish the race, and always keep faith"
2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment