Welcome to my blog

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit my blog. Take care, stay safe and God bless!



Sunday, January 23, 2011

5-mile treadmill workout and Weigh-in Day

The kids witnessed the first casualty suffered by the treadmill today: a soldier from the game of Risk was tossed into the abyss (trash), due to a violation of Treadmill rule #3: no toys on the treadmill.  This closely follows rules #1 No playing on the treadmill, and rule #2 No playing on the treadmill…..  Needless to say, there will probably be no “high-value” toys left on the treadmill! 
Today is weigh-in day, and I woke up to visit the scales with much enthusiasm! 
I was not disappointed either, having measured up to 188lbs (down 15lbs since Thanksgiving)!  Not too shabby, but I am still not to my goal weight yet…..  Last week’s 16 miles contributed to my weekly 3lb loss, but I have some other contributing factors to recognize as well.
For those of you who know me well, you know that I love coffee!  And, most of you will attest that my coffee is not really coffee, but creamer splashed with a bit of java…..  Those of you who believe this to be true are absolutely correct!  So, over the past month I have completely cut out my hazelnut liquid creamer ~ completely!  Yes, believe it or not, I used to consume about two or three 1qt bottles of NestlĂ©’s Coffee-Mate Liquid Hazelnut creamer a week!  Those calories add up!
Well, that’s not the only thing I’ve cut back on.  I have been watching my caloric intake very carefully.  I have been eating smaller portions with small snacks in between each meal (throughout the course of each day).  It’s not that I was eating junk food or anything; I was just eating one or two big meals (primarily at dinner) without any clue of portion size.  It makes a difference!
And lastly, I introduce the running.  I’ve been able to run more lately (with the addition of the treadmill).  Don’t forget our family has had a lot less distractions in the past few weeks (which equal more free time at home).  So the three takeaways are: 1.) Watch what you eat. 2.) Eliminate unnecessary calories.  3.) Run.
Today’s run was a planned 3 mile run but I ended up knocking out 5 miles.  This is a big week for my 4 year-old son; he has his quarterly scans this week (CT and Ultrasound) plus kidney function tests (GFR).  I guess the anxiety of this week’s tests gave me some extra energy (because the run was uneventful). 
I set the treadmill speed to 6.8 mph / zero incline (equivalent pace of about 9:00 miles) and just ran.  So many thoughts ran through my head as I ran today: I asked the Lord to grant Brandon all of the courage he needs to get through this week’s exams, to give my family and I the patience needed to hold out for the test results, and gave tons of thanks for the many blessings we have.  I also paused and thought about the many wonderful people we encountered throughout our journey. 
As I sit and type today’s journal entry, I can’t help but notice the “runner’s high” still flowing through my body!  What an amazing feeling! 
Thanks for the visit!

Happy running and God bless! 2 Tim 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment