Welcome to my blog

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit my blog. Take care, stay safe and God bless!



Sunday, January 30, 2011

A January to Remember

I think I finished what may have been my last run for the month.  I am very proud to announce that I was able to log about 68 miles, my second best month ever, and lost about 12 lbs!  I got this year off to a great start!  

I spent the majority of the day reading up on running tips from various websites.  I found several interesting articles for various topics such as training in the morning (vs. the evening), warm-up stretches (to include a walk-to-jog trot), training programs, and so on…..  I am not a professional runner and the majority of my training consists of well, just plain running!  Some will argue that you must incorporate sprints, weight training, etc. for a well balanced marathon training program.  I found some interesting new programs/ideas that I will test throughout my training.
Much to my surprise, I was reading through my Garmin Forerunner 305 user's manual and learned some new things.  To date, I mainly used my Forerunner to track an accurate distance, maintain a steady pace, and to have map-depictions of my runs.  I am not at all pleased with the Garmin’s map accuracy or detail but the distance and pace are always spot on!  I also learned that my Forerunner has running programs built into the software (IE: tempo runs, etc.) that I will have to experiment with…..  Bonus!
Another thing that I realized (last Wednesday) was that our bathroom scale was WAY OFF!  Last week’s weigh in read 188 lbs, but I had weighed in at 182 lbs on Wednesday on a calibrated scale (during my PT test).  Our old scale must have been around 3-4 lbs off.  Sunday is my weigh in day and we went out and bought a newer, more accurate scale.  I weighed in at 183 lbs (a 2 lb drop from last week), and as mentioned I lost a total of about 12 lbs this month.  My waste (the USAF-style measurement) taped in at 35.5 inches; these surprises are always nice! 
We also bought a food scale too.  This helps out with portion control and we'll never be left guessing how much a serving weighs…..  For most of you, portion control (or caloric intake) isn’t an issue…..  It will be when you get older, trust me!
Tonight’s run was a 4 mile treadmill workout, speed set to 7.0 mph for the first 2 miles, then increased to 7.3 mph.  I bumped it up to 7.8 mph for the last half mile and held on.  The incline was set to zero for the entire distance.  I crossed the 4 mile mark at approximately 33:45, which is just under 8:30 min/mile pace!  What a refreshing run, take care and thanks for the visit! 


(Click on image for full size)


Happy running and God bless! 2 Tim 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment