Welcome to my blog

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit my blog. Take care, stay safe and God bless!



Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ice, Ice Baby!

Only one song comes to mind, that best describes my week: “Ice, Ice Baby!”

This week’s winter storm has affected a lot of people, including us, but we are thankful that we still have power, food & water, and each other.  There are many less fortunate people struggling to get by this week and our thoughts and prayers are with them all…..
The past two days have wreaked havoc in the Midwest, especially here in Dayton.  We’ve had two days of nothing but freezing rain, sleet, ice, and some snow.  Our vehicles are covered in about ½ to ¾ inch of ice…..  Work and school have both been closed the past two days; it’s like Groundhog Day and we’re all getting cabin fever! 
To pass time by, I was able to squeeze in two mid-day runs (vs. the usual end of day).  I really need to wake up earlier and knock out my runs in the mornings…..  That is a very difficult task for me, but I ran earlier than usual. 
Yesterday’s run was a 3 mile treadmill workout.  I set the speed to 7.0 mph / zero incline for the duration of the run.  I had some trouble breathing yesterday, possibly from minor congestion or allergies.  I found an interesting article about proper breathing at runnersworld.com (link) and cleared some misconceptions I had about proper breathing while running….. 
I almost always inhale through my nose and exhale through my mouth.  Until last week, I thought this was the proper technique (but it really doesn’t matter).  I feel that I am capable of getting in more air through my nose (as long as my sinuses are clear) than through my mouth.  I usually start off with a 3/3 breathing ratio then switch to a 2/2 ratio when slightly winded.  I have gone to a 1/1 ratio when severely winded (while sprinting) just to keep up with my body’s demand for oxygen…..  For the record: I usually don’t sprint (so my body’s demand for oxygen remains somewhat constant). 
Today’s run was a planned 6 mile treadmill workout but I was only able to complete 4 miles (same settings as yesterday, 7.0 mph / zero incline).  I felt good up until the 3 mile mark then I just ran out of gas…..  I didn’t have it today and decided to attempt an additional mile and call it a day at 4 miles.  I was a bit disappointed, but I am still pleased with my pace and breathing (towards the end).  My diet hasn’t changed and I feel that it is much more balanced and nutritional than ever!  I just “bonked.”
I hopped off the treadmill and did my crunches (as usual, after runs).  This consists of 3x sets of 50x reps each, middle, right/left oblique’s (with a good abdominal stretch afterwards).  I then sat down to write my journal entry.  Unfortunately, my knee twitched awkwardly while I bent down to sit…..  I haven’t felt any knee pain in a VERY long time; this is not a good sign…..  I’m going to ice, elevate, and rest for a while.  Hopefully this is just a temporary thing.  Thanks for the visit, keep warm and safe! 

Happy running and God bless! 2 Tim 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment