Welcome to my blog

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit my blog. Take care, stay safe and God bless!



Friday, February 18, 2011

It's a beautiful day!

I didn’t have to go to work today because my boss gave us a family day (thanks) and what a beautiful day!  The temp is 61f and the sun is out!  The winds are howling at 18-25 mph, but still an awesome day!  I couldn’t pass this opportunity up!  Today was my first outdoor run of the season and I didn’t know what to expect.  To date, all of my running has been accomplished on the treadmill.  I am humbled at God’s grace and beauty of this day….. 
Nine months ago, we were blessed with the arrival of our newest additions: Austin and Blake!  The twins had their 9-month wellness visit today and they are both around 19lbs each and doing very well!  Unfortunately, Tyler’s fever came back and he had to miss another day of school.  The Tylenol is helping and we are trying to keep him away from his brothers (especially Brandon); which is difficult to do.  He’s a trooper.
Well, today was a run day and I was staring at a 3 miler with 18-25 mph winds…..  I tried to plot out my course to avoid as much of a headwind as possible.  I have three or four routes that I typically run through: a 1 mile warm up circuit, 3 mile course, 5 mile course, and an out-and-back along an old train track-turned bike/running path for my longer runs.  Today’s 3 mile run put me directly into the wind but I managed to slice through it!
I started out the door (after a stretch) and took off down the street towards my warm-up circuit.  I immediately noticed a difference…..  I experienced a weird sensation, where my feet still felt like they were kicking off the treadmill belt (and my body was hovering down the street).  I can’t explain it any better than that, but it lasted about a half mile.  I completed my warm-up lap then ran out towards the 3 mile course alongside Col Glen/Airway Rd.  “Hello wind!”
This course takes me through Page Manor strip mall and I was finally able to see the devastation from last week’s fire.  This fire took out several businesses but fortunately the fire (and damage) was contained before it consumed the entire mall.  I had to detour around the parking lot to avoid some construction vehicles cleaning up debris…..  I couldn’t help but notice on my Garmin 305, that my pace leading Westward (into the wind) was stable at 8:00-8:15 min/miles!  It took some effort but I managed the outbound leg well.
I turned back into the neighborhood and the houses helped cut out a lot of the wind.  I had the wind to my back at one point and noticed that my pace read 7:25; I had to take advantage of this!  I cut through the course and was able to run back to the house just under the 3 ¼ mile point and called it quits.  My breathing, heart rate, legs (especially the knee) were all fine!  This was an awesome run for me today and I am so happy to be able to get back outside (and off the treadmill).  Today's run was 3.2 miles @26:58 (8:26 min/mile pace). 
The completion of today’s run closes out week #2 of my training plan. And, I looked down at the Garmin at the 3.1 mile mark and noticed that I beat my 5K road PR by an entire minute!  My previous road record was 25:43 (Treadmill’s 5K PR is 25:27); today’s new road record clocked in at 24:41!  I think the lack of traffic helped a lot, because I didn’t have to spend too much time waiting on vehicles while crossing at intersections…..  That's a pain, but in a collision of metal and flesh ~ metal always wins.....  So, be safe out there and look out for cars (drivers: look out for runners, bicyclists, and motorcycle riders)! 
I have to admit, my treadmill training (speed, incline and pace) did wonders to prepare me for today's run.  For those who know me, you know that I am not fast and historically maintained a 9-10:00 min/mile pace when training for these events (sometimes 10-11:00).  Well, I’ve got big plans for 2011 and I have made huge improvements towards achieving my goals (dropped weight and time)!  I am glad to finally get outside and enjoy the great outdoors!  Thanks for the visit and take care.  Enjoy the wonderful weather!
PS: I am extremely proud of my wife: she ran for 25 minutes today and was able to knock out a little over 2 miles!  I am SO proud of her!  She amazes me each and every day! 

Happy running and God bless! 2 Tim 4:7

1 comment:

  1. Well, Tyler has STREP..... Boo!

    Mommy took him down to Dayton Children's ER (where he received a very painful shot). Tyler's not happy, and we need to keep him away from Brandon and the babies!

    Keep safe this winter, and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete