Welcome to my blog

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit my blog. Take care, stay safe and God bless!



Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week #5 Off to a Great Start!

Week #5 is off to a great start!  It rained all day Friday then on-and-off yesterday.  The weatherman was calling for winter-like conditions this morning with snow/ice etc (blah, blah-blah, blah, blah).  Either way, I was running.  Lucky for me, we missed the snow and ice and the roads were dry!  Cold, but a great day for a run!

I layered up and took off for my planned 6 mile run.  The winds were stout today but lucky for me they weren’t much of a factor.  I felt sluggish in the beginning and my Garmin 305 was “chirping” at me (pace alert annunciator), telling me to speed up.  I have it set at 9:30 or 10:00 min/mile pace ~ can't remember exactly (another nice feature).  My legs weren’t sore but my brain felt frozen.  It took me about 3-4 miles to finally get loose.  The Gu energy gel helped (taken at mile #3).  I recommend an energy gel at least every 2-3 miles (I prefer Gu, pictured below).  They come in a variety of flavors.  My favorites are Lemon Sublime and Strawberry Banana.  I am going to try Blueberry Pomegranate later this week.  Tri-berry is ok.....    The Chocolate and Coffee flavors give me heartburn..... 

 (click image for full size)

I rounded the corner at mile 5 and was very close to home.  I usually finish up my last mile about a block away from home but I felt really good and continued out into the neighborhood again.  I managed to complete 8.35 miles and did so in really good time!  Mile #6 was my best (8:09 pace)!  I felt like everything was flowing!  What a great run!  Today’s run was my longest of the year…..  

Oh, I purchased a pair of Brooks Trance running shoes last night (pictured below).  A good friend of mine introduced me to them (thanks Levi); they hold up to their name and reputation!  I knew immediately (when I tried them on in the store) that I would love them!  It is amazing, what difference a shoe can make….. 

 (click image for full size)

I swore to my Asics Gel Nimbus-11’s, that I’d never find a better running shoe…..  I was wrong!  "Anyone need some running shoes?" I have three pair of Asics that I won’t need any more…..  Take care and have a great week!  


Happy running and God bless!
"Fight the good fight, finish the race, and always keep faith" 
2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment