Welcome to my blog

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit my blog. Take care, stay safe and God bless!



Monday, April 11, 2011

Week #10 and Hocking Hills St Park

We decided to take off for Hocking Hills State Park (HHSP), OH last weekend for a much needed get-away. HHSP is located in the beautiful rolling hills near Logan (and is one of our all-time favorite state parks)! The trees stand nearly 50-80 feet tall and the forest secludes us from the everyday grind. The campsites are pretty spaced out and we were one of only a handful of people in the park (I guess it helps to be out during the middle of the week and also the rain kept most people away). What a wonderful weekend!

Friday’s run was a much needed change of scenery (and a decent hill workout). I have only accomplished a couple of hill workouts during my training to prepare me for the Cincy Flying Pig….. This run was by far the most challenging of the three! The hills took me through some modest accents (about 1,250’ total) and descents (1,300’); the views were worth it! My pace suffered (due to the hills) but I am happy to be out in the “great outdoors” with my family and friends!

We hiked nearly 2 miles Friday and another 1.5 miles on Saturday (through Old Man’s Cave). The hiking killed my pace for Sunday's run but it was definitely worth it! I highly recommend Hocking Hills State Park if you are ever in the local area…..


Well, Sunday’s run sucked horribly. We left the campsite around 1330 then got home around 1630’ish. Unloaded and cleaned gear for a couple of hours….. Then I took off for my run at 1810. I slugged it through 11 miles and my pace suffered from lack of rest and possibly exhaustion….. This was by far one of my worst runs of the year and I am so disappointed being so close to race day. I never really got an off day nor did I get much rest (due to cleaning up) but it was all worth it! I had a blast this weekend! Take care and be safe! 

PS: These two runs put me over 500 miles (since my second knee surgery in Oct 2009).  Thankful and blessed! 

Hocking Hills State Park run map (Garmin via Google Earth)
(click image for full size)

My view of the park during my run (YouTube video)
(Hint: pause the music player below and watch in HD)

Some pictures from the trip
Camp Lansberry
(click image for full size)

Me, the better half and the twins
 (click image for full size)

The older boys
 (click image for full size)

Tall tall trees.....
 (click image for full size)

Rose Lake
 (click image for full size)

Cattails by the dam
(click image for full size)

Trees growing just about everywhere
 (click image for full size)

(click image for full size)

 (click image for full size)

Many waterfalls
(click image for full size)

 (click image for full size)

My favorite pic from the hike into Old's Man Cave
 (click image for full size)

Happy running and God bless!
"Fight the good fight, finish the race, and always keep faith"
2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment